Claude Chandler was born in 1989 in Durban and obtained a Diploma in Fine Arts from the Durban University of Technology in 2012.
In the 2008 he participated in The Nivea Art Awards and in 2010 the Sasol New Signatures National
Art Competition and was a finalist in both these competitions. In 2013 he was a shortlisted for the SPI Portrait Award.
Chandler was immersed in the art world from an early age with both of his parents being talented local artists and prominent figures in the art scene. He grew up spending a lot of time in galleries and studios, and was constantly surrounded by artists. His passion for portraiture was cemented when, in 2005, he began a project of painting his teachers at high school. This set off his career as he started receiving portrait commissions, as well as developing his own personal identity as an artist and increasing his confidence in his artistic abilities. Claude’s creative journey is rooted in the use of portraiture.
His interest in teaching art precipitated in his giving private classes in early 2011, as well as teaching for a term as a student educator at Durban Girls’ High School .
Claude is a full time artist, living and working in Cape Town.
- 2016 Ways of seeing – solo exhibition at Worldart, Cape Town
- 2015 Binary Transcendence – solo exhibition at Worldart, Cape Town
- 2013 5th Toilet Cubical Exhibition’ Studio 41. Cape Town – Claude Chandler, Roscoe Masters & Kirstie Samson
- 2012 ‘Mash-Up’ Alex Hamilton Gallery, Woodstock, Cape Town
- 2011 ‘Bold and the Beautiful’, KZNSA Gallery, Members Exhibition/competition – Second Prize
- 2010 Sasol New Signatures Art Competition 2010, Pretoria Art Museum, National Competition
- 2008 Start, The Nivea Art Awards 2008′, KZNSA Gallery, Durban, Provincial Competition
- 2007 Under 21, KZNSA Gallery, Group Show – Claude Chandler, Lydon Cadle
- 2005 100 years of… KZNSA’, KZNSA Gallery, Centenary Members Exhibition, Durban
- 2016 Turbine Art Fair, Johannesburg
- 2014 Turbine Art Fair, Johannesburg