Gavin Rain (b. 1971) lives and works in Cape Town.
He has painted since childhood and started with pointillism in 2003.
Influences include Seurat, the Russian Avant garde art of the 1900’s and many architects. He originally intended to study architecture in the hope of combining his two interests – art and mathematics – but ended up obtaining a degree in Neuropsychology at the University of Cape Town before studying art the Ruth Prowse School of Art.
In 2011 Rain participated in the 54th Venice Biennale at the Republic of Costa Rica pavilion with a portrait of Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi and again in 2013 at the Republic of Bangladesh pavilion with a work entitled ‘Lena’.
Rain’s objective is to allow the viewer to perceive the convergence of two opposing pictorial styles: the abstractness of the colourful concentric circles that thicken into dense dots in relief, and the figurative aspect of the image that is defined by the sum of these same dots as the viewer takes a few steps back. It is in this backing-off that the artist’s intended message lies: in order to acquire awareness of something that is concealed yet right in front of your eyes, or hidden in plain sight, you must distance yourself by moving backwards. We should view the big picture, the whole, without being too concerned about isolated events or individual points of view. As Gestalt psychology sustains, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
- 2018 Iconic Dots, SimonBart Gallery, Porto Cervo, Sardinia
- 2016 Icons, Laura Rathe Fine Art, Houston
- 2015 Nascosto in prospettiva, Cerruti Arte, Genova
- 2014 From A Distance, Leslie Smith Gallery, Amsterdam
- 2013 Gavin Rain Supernatural. Part 1, Bugno Art Gallery, Venice
- 2009 Cityscapes, Worldart gallery, Cape Town
- 2007 Russian brides, Worldart gallery, Johannesburg
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2014 Contini Art UK, London
- 2014 Unix Gallery, New York
- 2014 Worldart, Cape Town
- 2014 Galerie Alfredo Ginocchio, Mexico City
- 2013 Automne Art Gallery, Brussels
- 2013 Supernaturalism, Bangladesh Pavilion for the Venice Biennale, Venice
- 2013 Galerie Bartoux, Antibes
- 2013 Leslie Smith Gallery, Amsterdam
- 2013 Metamorfosi, Palazzo Firenze, Rome
- 2011 Costa Rica Pavilion for the Venice Biennale, VenicE
- 2011 Per Capita, Tuscany
- 2008 African Wave exhibition, Treviso
RECENT ART FAIRS
- 2017 Cape town Art Fair with Worldart
- 2016 Art New York with Smith Davidson Gallery, New York
- 2015 Armory Show with Leslie Smith Gallery, New York
- 2014 Art Miami with Leslie Smith Gallery and Galeria Alfredo Ginocchio, Miami
- 2014 Art Silicon Valley with Leslie Smith Gallery, San Francisco
- 2014 TEFAF with Leslie Smith Gallery, Maastricht
- 2014 Art Los Angeles with Leslie Smith Gallery, L.A.
- 2013 Cape Town Art Fair with Worldart, Cape Town
- 2013 Miami Art Fair with Leslie Smith Gallery, Miami