Marlise Keith (b. 1972) is a Cape Town based artist working in ink, pencil and acrylics on canvas, also with assemblage, combining found objects and fabric to create small sculptures.
Her work is influenced by people, her surroundings and aspects of her personal life. Dreams play an important role in many works, where she captures often disturbing but mostly surreal moments in small, detailed areas of her larger works.
It is important to examine her works in great detail to see images receding into the surface and to fully enjoy the complexity and whimsical nature of her drawing style.
- 2001 Masters in Fine Arts, University of Stellenbosch.
- 1995 BA Fine Arts, University of Pretoria.
COMPETITIONS & AWARDS
- 2011 Hollard Insurance won the BASA award for Rat Race, the “Single Strategic Project”. On this piece she collaborated with the Spier Arts Academy’s mosaic apprentices.
- 2007 Top ten finalist at the ABSA L’Atelier.
- 2006-08 Shortlist, ABSA L’Atelier.
- 2006 Winner, Sanlam Vuleka Art Competition.
- 1996-97 Shortlist, Volkskas Atelier, Pretoria, and the Sasol New Signatures, Pretoria.
- 1995 Shortlist, Sasol New Signatures, Pretoria
- 2016 Worldart, Cape Town, Akrasia
- 2015 Worldart, Cape Town, Difficult Things.
- 2013 Brundyn+, Cape Town, Furies.
- 2010 Brundyn&Gonsalves, Cape Town, Blight.
- 2010 Sarah Kahn Contemporary, Lichtenstein, Afrikaan.
- 2009 Worldart, Soak.
- 2008 Worldart, Afrikaner Dogters Sukkel Suutjies.
- 2007 Association of Visual Art, Cape Town, Kners.
- 2003 DC Art, An Apology to my Mother, which was a selection of drawings.
- 2000 DC Art, Fugitive Pieces, which formed part of the Cape Town City Festival.