Norman O’Flynn born (b. 1971), lives and works in Cape Town as a painter, sculptor and all round constructor.
He has a deep understanding of and love for the pop art tradition and explores what this genre means today. He refers to topics that have become relevant in the last decade and expresses it in a visual language ranging from familiar religious and pop iconography to celebrity culture and self-love. Topics like the speed of change, the explosion of knowledge and how we have become the product and ultimately the new gods, are expressed in a way that adds new energy and relevance to the genre of pop art.
- 1988-1992 BA Fine Arts, Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town, South Africa
COMPETITIONS & AWARDS
- 2007 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 2006 Pro Helvetia Swiss Residency Fellowship
- 2005 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 2004 Brett Kebble Art Awards finalist
- 2004 ABSA L’Atelier finalist
- 1992 Irma Stern Award for Excellence in Printmaking
- 2017 Better & Better. Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2016 The good, the bad and the BOOM! Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2015 BANG BANG BOOM. Diedericks Faber. Johannesburg / Cape Town, South Africa
- 2012 Guardians. Worldart, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2010 Deep Down we all want to rob a Bank. Erdmann Contemporary. Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2009 The World Needs Me. Erdmann Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2007 Never Too Late To Be A Man, Bell Roberts Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2005 The Bull and Other Stories, Bell Roberts Contemporary, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2005 Currency, AVA, Association for Visual Art, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2004 Behind The Tent, Thapong, Gabarone, Botswana